Thank you voters!
Both levies were approved in the Feb. 12, 2019 election.
“Seattle voters have said yes to renewing both school levies. Schools First wants to take this opportunity to thank all of our volunteers and coalition partners for renewing our commitment to our kids and our schools. This tremendous victory came in the midst of some historic weather and associated challenges. Great cities have great schools, and Seattle has once again demonstrated that its citizens want our children to have access to modern schools and a world-class education.”
Melissa Pailthorp – Schools First President
Prop. 1: The expiring three-year Educational Programs and Operations Levy
Prop. 2: The expiring six-year Building Excellence Capital Levy (BEX V)
The levies fill the gap between what the state funds and what our schools need to operate every day. The operations levy pays for day-to-day operations, including:
- Staff, including teachers, nurses, counselors
- Services, such as special education, bilingual services
- Academics, such as textbooks, technology and classroom supplies
The capital levy funds construction of school remodels, repairs and maintenance, helping Seattle Public Schools with:
- Safety and security measures in schools
- Building new schools, adding capacity and classrooms to existing schools
- Maintaining aging school buildings.
- School and classroom technology
For a full list of what’s funded, including a project list by school, visit https://www.seattleschools.org/levies