Ensuring success for every student: two key levy renewals
On February 12, 2019, Seattle voters will be asked to renew two levies:
- The expiring three-year Educational Programs and Operations Levy (EP&O)
- The expiring six-year Building Excellence Capital Levy (BEX V)
The EP&O levy fills the gap between what the state funds and what our schools need to operate every day. The operations levy pays for day-to-day operations, including:
- Staff, including teachers, nurses, counselors
- Services, such as special education, bilingual services
- Academics, such as textbooks, technology and classroom supplies
The capital levy funds construction of school remodels, repairs and maintenance, helping Seattle Public Schools with:
- Safety and security measures in schools
- Building new schools, adding capacity and classrooms to existing schools
- Maintaining aging school buildings.
- School and classroom technology
For a full list of what’s funded, including a project list by school, visit https://www.seattleschools.org/levies
This is challenging time for school funding elections. Support for school levies and bonds dropped considerably in our neighboring districts in February 2018 because of confusion over state funding and the threat of higher state property taxes.
The state has NOT fully funded K-12 education in Washington State. Local levy dollars are critical to ensuring success for our students and schools.
Want to help now? We are always looking for volunteers and donations, see “How you can help” and “contribute” pages.